Saturday, July 14, 2012

Busy without the little one

So the last two days, J has been having some good quality mommy time. I'm a teacher so I get all summers with him, so she wanted some quality time too.

I decided to take the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and do some handy work. I ran some errands and got a few supplies and made a few toys for J.

The first one was just a small pulley system for our backyard. We have a small gravel pit that J plays in (it was originally going to be a sandbox, but sand is really expensive, and all J wants to do is drive his trucks and load up the dump truck beds), and my mother-in-law suggested a pulley system. So I got a pulley, bracket, rope, and a bucket and set it up so J can load up the bucket and hoist it up.

But the cooler toy was the second thing I made. I saw this thing at the local children's museum, and that gave me the idea. Basically, I took two 2 foot pieces of maple, drilled 5 holes in each, and then I put long bolts of different diameters through them. I put a whole bunch of washers on each and attached them to the wood with nuts. When you slide the washers up the bolts and then let them fall, they wobble and make really cool sounds.

It may not sound like much, but this is so not like me, and I am kind of proud of it. And J even liked the toys! Lots of fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment