Thursday, July 12, 2012

Libraries and Books

Yesterday, I tried to plan a variety of things for the morning so J would take an early nap in the car and then if our new washing machine came early we wouldn't have any problems.

I really need to stop planning things.

J didn't want to do much of anything. Most of the morning he just wanted to read books. The kid really loves to read, so much so, that he has begun memorizing books and picking them up to "read" them to himself.

So when I tried to convince him to go to "a special, new playground," he didn't really care about it. Finally, about an hour after I had planned to go, we made it out the door. When we got to the library (walking distance from the playground), I asked him if he wanted to go to the library or playground and he chose the library. I was shocked.

The library is a beautiful, big building with a large, airy children's area (and very bright in comparison to the rest of the library). But even though it's a beautiful library, I have to say it's not my favorite of the local libraries. Everything is very neat and organized in the space and the puzzles are each individually wrapped up and kept separate from the rest of the area. Personally, I think that children's areas of a library should be a bit more free-flowing. J likes to wander and play with puzzles, take books out and just generally wander. With the puzzles out of the way and the books so tightly packed in the shelves that they were unable to be easily removed, it was a bit too clean and organized for my taste.

Anyway, after some time at the library and then the playground, we grabbed lunch. J fell asleep in the car for about 15 minutes and then wouldn't go back to sleep. All he wanted to do was read and be read to.  I don't know why he wouldn't sleep, but the reading was still fun.

Today was actually very similar to yesterday. J was able to play with his aunt and cousins, but aside from that, a lot of reading and not a lot of napping. Tomorrow's a day all about mommy, so I may not blog. If any librarians have any response to my comments, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment