Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Back to School :-(

So the frowny face in the title is not from J. He loves his school (frankly, my wife and I do too!). No, that face is from me.

I'm a teacher, and while I absolutely love my job, it was tough going back yesterday. I had an amazing summer with J, and then I have to go back to my full time job and I don't get to spend nearly as much time with him. It's tough.

It's also tough having to answer the question, "So what did you do all summer?" On the one hand, J and I were doing things every day. On the other hand, I'm having a really hard time explaining why it was such an amazing summer and so much fun.

We went to an almost obscene number of playgrounds
Ditto for libraries
We went to museums
We went to farms
We rode bikes
We played

All of those things were a blast in the moment, but I always get the feeling that when I explain to friends and coworkers what we did, they are always thinking, "So what?"

But it really doesn't matter. J had a blast. So did I. I think really, the best part about it was how much I learned about him throughout the summer. And what he thought about everything we did:

Playgrounds -- The ideal playground needs to have swings for a variety of ages and a sandbox with tons of trucks. If it doesn't have that, it shouldn't be called a playground.
Libraries -- Going around and picking out books is fun! Daddy following you and putting the books back on shelves...not so much.
Museums -- Having lots of rooms in a museum is totally irrelevant. All that matters is a two or three awesome rooms. Trains, cars, balls and construction make a room awesome.
Farms -- It doesn't matter how big a farm is or how much they grow there. It also doesn't matter how many animals are raised or how clean the facility is. But if you're a farm, you better damn well have a tractor out to be looked at (the more, the better!)
Bikes -- Don't try to go to far on a bike unless a playground is part of the itinerary (see description of "playground" above)
Play -- Sometimes play should be independent. Sometimes daddy needs to be part of it. Daddy should know the difference instinctively.

Now that school is starting, we're not going to be able to do quite as much, but that's what weekends are for right? I just better find a way to grade papers during naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment